Conventional chemical-laden cleaning products are linked to many health issues and environmental concerns.
We have to deal with enough daily toxins that are beyond our personal control--why would we want to introduce harmful pollutants into our home environments? Conventional cleaning products are among the worst of the worst in terms of their effects on our health, as well as our environment. Here are the main reasons, below, on why we choose green cleaning.
- Chemicals can cause headaches, nausea and/or other gastrointestinal ailments, poisoning, eye and respiratory sensitivity or burning, cancer, reproductive problems and damage to internal organs.
- True green cleaning does not exacerbate air pollution, water pollution, ozone depletion and global climate change--unlike most chemical cleaning products.
- The use of rags and microfiber cloths avoids promoting the production of single-use paper towels, and keeps extra refuse from entering the landfill. They can be used over...and over...and over! Just be wary of drying microfiber rags with dryer sheets (full of chemicals, by the way) as it ruins them over time.
- Bleach, when combined with certain naturally occurring compounds, produces carcinogenic organochlorines (which are also in the notorious pesticide DDT) (https://branchbasics.com/blog/2018/02/laundry-chemicals/)
- Since World War II, around 75,000 chemicals have been introduced into consumer products, yet less than 5 percent of them have been tested for health or environmental side effects (http://www.cleaningpro.com/toxic.cfm)
- In 1989, the EPA estimated that the fumes produced by common household cleaners were three times more likely to cause cancer than other air pollutants (http://www.cleaningpro.com/toxic.cfm)
- A 2007 study published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine found that exposure to cleaning products accounts for 15 percent of all asthma cases (https://www.atsjournals.org/journal/ajrccm